Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
You’re ready to take the next step in your Data Engineering career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their next-generation streaming analytics infrastructure! You love data consistency and integrity. You consider yourself scrappy and a technologist, passionate about data infrastructure... with your attention to detail and insistence on doing things correctly, you know you can make a big impact on a small team! You’re an excellent communicator and know that you grow faster from being able to mentor others.
What You’ll Do:
- Build new systems to provide real-time streaming analytics and event processing pipeline based on fast data architecture
- Build enterprise grade data lake to support both business analytical needs and next generation data infrastructure
- Building data integration toolkit for backend services
- Support our data science team in deploying new algorithms for matchmaking, fraud and cheat detection
- Find better ways to move massive amounts of data from a variety of sources to formats consumable by reporting systems and people
- Improve monitoring and alarms that impact data integrity replication lag
- Support our product development team in creating new events to measure/track
- At least 4-5 years of experience in Scala/Java or Python programming
- AWS data products (Data pipelines, Redshift, Pinpoint, S3, etc)
- Experience with recognized industry patterns, methodologies, and techniques
- Familiarity with Agile engineering practices
- 4+ years of experience with Spark, Scala and/or Akka
- 4+ years of experience with Spark Streaming, Storm, Flink, or other Stream Processing technologies
- 2+ years of experience working with Kafka or similar data pipeline backbone
- 4+ years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- 3+ years’ experience with NoSQL implementation (ElasticSearch, Cassandra, etc. a plus)
- At least 4-5 years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience
- Familiarity with Alooma, Snowflakes
- Familiarity with Kinesis, Lamda
- Prior experience in gaming
- Prior experience in finance
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.