Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
As a member of DevOps team you will be responsible for the entire lifecycle of the infrastructure and tooling within Skillz:
- Proactively maintain availability of Skillz’s cloud infrastructure
- Work closely with software engineering teams to constantly improve availability of services
- Manage seamless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
- Leverage container platforms such as Kubernetes for large scale deployment of microservices
- Design, deploy, and manage Skillz’s infrastructure in public clouds (AWS or GCP)
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure infrastructure security compliance
- Disaster recovery planning and regional failover testing
- Capacity management and planning
- Automatic scaling of infrastructure and services
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze and prevent repeat failures
- Develop and optimize continuous integration and deployment processes (CI/CD)
- Conduct periodic on call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Fluent in one or more of: Python, Go, Java, or Ruby
- Deep knowledge of containerization and cloud services frameworks in both Kubernetes and AWS
- 4+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure or backend engineering
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Excellent skills in process, documentation, and change management.
- Experience with logging, monitoring, and alerting tools such as New Relic, ELK, DataDog, and PagerDuty
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.