More about Ascend.io
Imagine a data-driven world beyond even today's excitement around smart watches, smart homes,
and smart cars. We'd like to help companies get there.
Ascend simplifies big data allowing anyone to self-serve data across silos, build automated pipelines, and supercharge teams to accelerate innovation. Our platform increases the productivity of entire organizations by providing a shared workspace where data engineers, data scientists, and analysts can collaborate on the next generation of data-driven products, services, and experiences.
Why join us?
- Help the future catch up to your imagination!
- Our founder Sean previously co-founded Ooyala, which he helped grow to 500 people and was acquired for $410m.
- Engineering team from Google, Facebook, Twitter, Square, LinkedIn, and Yahoo.
- Backed by more than $19m in funding from Accel, Sequoia, Lightspeed and more.
- We're dog friendly.
Engineering team and processes
We are big believers in ownership and responsibility. Our engineering team operates at epic-level Kanban. Every epic has an engineering owner who is responsible for the end-to-end delivery, and who leads the effort with the help of others. Even new hires start owning epics within their first few weeks.
At the start of each week, we meet as an entire company for 45 minutes to share our goals, and at the end of the week we demo all of our progress. Each morning we do a quick 10 minute standup to check in with each other.
We use Pull Requests on GitHub for code reviews, and have a CICD pipeline for deployments to all production systems.
Building the big data neural system is hard and brings with it lots of challenges!
- UI: simplifying an incredibly complex domain (big data engineering) with a modern, elegant canvas based designer.
- Frontend: borrowing from Google Maps, Apple Time Machine, and others great user experiences to build an elegant data modeling experience that works as fast as our users' imagination.
- Backend: architecting a suite of HA Golang auto-scaling microservices that control every big data system out there.
- Data Platform: automate the big data engineering intelligence with innovative math & graph theory.
- Infrastructure: building the platforms and automation necessary to run dozens of independent deployments of our platform in AWS, GCP, and Azure using the latest, scalable and secure container management systems and components like Kubernetes.
Projects you might work on
- Architect and engineer a virtual, collaborative canvas.
- Design and implement an entire ReactiveX framework in Golang.
- Implement a SQL parser in Scala.
- Implement a garbage collection engine responsible for millions of files and tables across distributed storage layers.
Kubernetes, Node.js, React, Redux, Google Cloud, Scala, Golang, Bazel, gRPC, GKE, AWS, Python, Terraform, Vault
Working at Ascend.io
Our team has a huge amount of passion for, and pride in, what we and our customers are building. Everybody is always willing to dive in to help a teammate, mentor a new hire, or take ownership of something that doesn't yet have one.
- Beautiful office
- 401(K) contribution
- Health, vision & dental insurance
- Flexible hours & PTO
- Free food
- Team activities