Locations: New York, Seattle
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
As a data engineer, you will own critical pieces of the machine learning and analytics platforms. You will build data processing infrastructure to derive insights from billions of location data points every day. You will collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to create tools and processes to bring research and machine learning models to production.
What you’ll do:
- Influence key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable data processing and analytics structure
- Work with the Data Science team to bring machine learning models into production
- Build Hadoop MapReduce and Spark processing pipelines using Java, Python, and Ruby
- Build REST APIs for data access by systems across our infrastructure
- Focus on performance, throughput, and latency, and drive these throughout our architecture
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Mentor junior engineering staff
What we’re looking for:
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Proficiency in Python, Java, C#, and/or Ruby
- 3+ years of experience with Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark data processing pipelines, analytics systems (e.g. OLAP, BI tools), and machine learning technologies
- Experience operating systems in AWS
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.