Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Python, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark, Databricks) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
As a senior/staff engineer on the team, you will own critical pieces of our machine learning and analytics platforms. You will build data processing pipelines that process terabytes of data every day, and collaborate with core tech's major teams, product owners across the company and actively build our next-gen products that set us apart in the location intelligence space.
About Core Tech Offline Visitation Team:
Pilgrim SDK, which is our always-on, passive location detection engine. It provides contextual awareness to mobile applications and connected devices to understand where and how users are moving through the real world. Pilgrim Core Visits are generated as a part of The Pilgrim SDK, the team is responsible for generating valuable visitation data that powers downstream products and consumers and internal tools. The team generates all the visits that are used across the entire company, which is the core infrastructure piece of Foursquare's location intelligence and is a high impact team with a big impact on the broader company success.
About the role:
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality.
As our Core Visits Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Launch features that enable developers to build rich contextual location experiences in their apps.
- Create and execute on technical designs, develop and deliver new Visitation Offline pipelines processing big data at scale.
- Establish process and tooling improvements to increase code quality, bring in best practices team can learn from.
- Build pipelines in Scala/Spark and/or Py/Spark to run on Databricks.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers on the team and demonstrate leadership skills.
- Collaborate with product owners and product managers on roadmaps and OKRs.
- Work on cross-functional project teams with product managers, designers, Android engineers, and server engineers.
*** The position is available in our Seattle engineering office.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Statistics or commensurate experience
- 5-8 years of software engineering, Big Data Engineering and/or team lead experience
- Proven track record of building and shipping large-scale engineering products
- Experience working with large, complex data sets from a variety of sources
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse set of engineers, data scientists and product managers
- Experience with functional and object-oriented programming, Scala a plus
- Experience with Databricks, Spark, AWS and EMR
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal), comfortable presenting to a group
- Comfort in a fast-paced startup environment
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and the products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.