Locations: Portland, Austin, Denver
Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The desktop Firefox team crafts a wide cross section of Firefox’s user interface. We’ve built upon the success of Firefox Quantum’s visual redesign by continually improving UI performance, experimenting with new search features, and modernizing our UI architecture. We also work closely with other teams building UI features. In this role you’ll have the opportunity to lead a team involved in a variety of projects with teams across Mozilla.
As an Engineering Manager at Mozilla, you will…
- Lead a geographically distributed team working on the desktop Firefox frontend
- Hold regular 1-1’s with your team to discuss execution of technical work and mentor professional development; provide feedback, perform semi-annual performance evaluations and make salary recommendations
- Build an inclusive environment which engages and challenges your team members
- Communicate your team’s goals, the scope and risks of your projects, and ensure the software your team delivers is on time, high quality, and maintainable
- Be an advocate for the web and Mozilla’s mission
Your professional profile
- You have 6 years of overall industry experience, with at least 2 years of engineering management.
- You can hire, coach, motivate, develop, and delegate to remote team members with different skill sets from your own.
- You can resolve problems, mitigate risk, lead change, and facilitate collaborative decision-making in a multi-functional team.
- You have the ability to successfully lead and ship complex software projects on time in a loosely structured environment.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment