Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partnersto the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz Fullstack engineering builds the tech that empowers Game Developers, Streamers, and the wider Skillz team to build, spectate, and optimize fair and fun competitions for millions of players. We’re actively changing the future of competitive gaming, and this mission keeps us raising the bar for our product, our tech, and our teams.
Creating and building the future of gaming isn’t easy, but our team tends to thrive on this level of complexity and responsibility. When we come across a difficult problem or need to master new technologies, we work together as a team to rise to the challenge. We take pride in being able to plan, estimate, and deliver complex tasks on time, and consider our work a reflection of ourselves.
Does this sound exciting? Do you want to push yourself to new heights? If you’re bored when you’re not being challenged, then we want to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Manage a team of diverse engineers, driving career and skill growth, coordinating onboarding and development workflows.
- Build out the Fullstack and Mobile group of our Portland Engineering hub, cultivating Skillz Engineering culture and dedication to excellence.
- Take ownership of staffing out both Mobile and Fullstack engineering teams in the Portland office, leading Skillz’ Client Apps team expansion in PDX.
- Connect with the wider Portland engineering community, building relationships while representing and helping to raise the profile of Skillz.
- Support your teams in estimating, planning, implementing, and deploying large features and releases.
- Work with the team to help them identify and implement iterative improvements to our systems and products.
- Facilitate and participate in technology and architecture design discussions, guiding your team in goal setting and planning best practices.
- Work with a variety of powerful front end technologies and languages, staying on the cutting edge.
- 8+ years of professional software experience in web, mobile, or client applications.
- You have successfully managed a team of 5+ engineers for 4+ years.
- You have successfully hired, built and developed a stable team of 5+ engineers.
- Strong desire to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Experience planning, implementing and deploying large team projects.
- Strong organizational, and written communication skills.
- Startup experience strongly preferred
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.