Two Sigma Insurance Quantified (TSIQ) seeks to partner with leaders in the insurance industry by applying Two Sigma's core engineering, modeling and analytics capabilities. TSIQ works closely with its industry partners to deliver products and solutions, which lead to enhanced automation and data-driven decision making. Comprised of a diversified and growing team of highly skilled data scientists, engineers, and business professionals, TSIQ possesses the agility and innovation of a dynamic startup with the resources and long-term view of Two Sigma.
Two Sigma is a technology company dedicated to finding value in the world's data. Since its founding in 2001, Two Sigma has built an innovative platform that combines extraordinary computing power, vast amounts of information, and advanced data science to produce breakthroughs in investment management, insurance and related fields. Today, Two Sigma manages approximately $50 billion in assets, employs more than 1,200 people and has offices in New York, Hong Kong, Houston and London.
For more information, please visit www.twosigmaiq.com
Structure & Processes
We are developing internet facing (REST API) services using a cloud native approach for the insurance industry that builds on/from analytics over big data. Teams is organized (lowest stack to high) as:
- Platform engineering — public cloud infrastructure, monitoring, security
- Data engineering — storage, database, and ETL infrastructure
- Application Eng — support for structured management of services (scale-out, logging, authn/authz etc)
- Insurance Eng — insurance-industry specific capabilities
- Insurance products — products built on lower layers with front-end capabilities for partners
All using modern software dev tools and approach — Agile dev with CI/CD tools
Interesting Technical Challenges
Greenfield environment, so can pick and choose best tools and approach. Big data problem, Scale, availability, serviceability with security. Platform enables delivery of SaaS — so multi-tenancy etc support needed.
- Public-cloud/cloud-native, open-sourced & Linux-based, largely Java, but also Python & Scala. SQL, NoSQL, databases, Spark/map-reduce.
- Docker containers for deployment. I.e modern software stack and tools most sensible startups would leverage.
- Collaboration through Google Apps for Work & Slack (Microsoft Office verboten)
- Develop a domain-specific language for defining insurance products
- Develop an algorithm to determine the optimal bids for AWS spots for a given set of cores/memory for a large EMR (Spark) job
- Learn the best way to make a latte using our La Marzocco espresso machine
- Identify best Identity-as-a-service product to deploy as IDP (and enable SSO) across all engineering resources and configure to enable along with granular entitlements mechanism
- Build ETL process using AWS Step Function
- Develop execution environment for “analytics models” that ensure failure isolation (ie. failing model doesn’t effect containing environment) with budgets on model execution time and resources