Android is an operating system which is free and open-source, used in various devices such as mobiles, tablets, televisions, electronic book readers etc. Kotlin is the official programming language for Android Development. Kotlin is a cross-platform, statically typed, general-purpose programming language with type inference.
This competency area includes understanding Recycler Views, basics of network connections, offline caching and support for app design improvements.
- Recycler View - Implementing the ViewHolder pattern. Displaying large collections of data in a user consumable and navigable format. Optimizing application performance when updating data collections that affect the UI
- Connect to the Internet - Connecting to an internet server to retrieve and display live data. Fetching data and images and Networking and image loading best practices
- Caching - Implementing offline caching
- Design and responsiveness - Improving app design to support multiple languages as well as support multiple device sizes and orientations. Making app accessible for users who might need assistance navigating, like supporting talkback and push-button navigation
- Databases - Using SharedPreferences and SQLite for data storage
- Layout - Building XML files by the use of Relative Layout.
- Permissions - Asking for permissions to access user personal data.