The competency area includes an understanding of variables, data types, loops, control statements, conditional statements, arrays, file input, and output, among others.
- Variables and Datatypes - An understanding and basic use of variables and data types are one of the most basic steps towards developing C++ competency.
- Conditional Statements - Using Conditional Statements, which are statements where one can evaluate a logical condition to decide whether a block of code should be executed or not.
- Loops and Control Statements - Understanding and usage of Loops. Loops are used to execute a block of code repeatedly based on a condition. Control statements are used to alter the execution path of a loop. The control statements available in C++ are break and continue.
- Functions - Working with Functions, which allow the programmer to structure the code in a modular way.
- Operators and Precedence - An understanding of the precedence of Arithmetic Operators, Relational Operators, Logical Operators, Bitwise Operators, Assignment Operators, and Misc Operators (array[->], dot [.], pointer operators, ternary, etc). and ability to evaluate expressions with complex combinations of these operators.
- File I/O - An understanding of the use of fstream to read/write files.
- Writing a simple program - Ability to use and write simple programs with the skills noted above, for example, working with arrays, simple input/output, generating Fibonacci series, generating a specific pattern, building a terminal-based calculator, etc.